A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
It is our pleasure to welcome you to Tipaskan School for the 2019-2020 school year. If your child is returning to our school, we look forward to continuing our relationship with your family. If you are new to Tipaskan, you have chosen a great school.
Our staff are welcoming, caring, inclusive and have a high expectations for students, socially and academically. Furthermore, we welcome diversity and understand that all students have their own unique gifts and talents. In our positive environment, students and staff are able to flourish and fulfill their potential.
At Tipaskan School our motto is to LIVE - with joy, LEARN - with wonder and engagement and LEAD - with creativity, compassion and community spirit. Staff and students strive to embody these values every day. We are committed to building relationships with parents and operating in a climate of mutual respect and trust. Therefore, we welcome parental input and assistance and we invite you to become engaged and actively involved. Please check SchoolZone for regular updates regarding your child’s education. All forms will be posted in SchoolZone this year. In order to insure that your child does well academically, please ensure that your child attends school regularly.
In 2019 -2020 we are pleased to provide the following programming.
- Pre-K program for students ages 3 1/2 to 4 year olds who are English Language Learners, FNMI
or who have mild to severe speech and language delays
- Full day Kindergarten, which is supported by the Edmonton Public Schools Foundation
- Literacy programming that includes guided reading, literacy centers, Literacy Intervention
- Grades K – 6 programming which follows the Alberta provincial curriculum, including French as
a Second Language
- Interactions program is designed to meet the needs of students who have been diagnosed
with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Multiple community school partnerships (Rotary Club, student mentors, U of A Pharmacy
- Modern technology – wireless technology, SMART boards in classes, access to Chromebooks
- As an APPLE school we promote healthy lifestyle choices for all of our Tipaskan community
- Our student leadership opportunities and restorative practices build community and create a
welcoming and diverse environment in which our students can be comfortable to grow to their
Due to student numbers and to plan for the smallest class sizes that we can, we do have multiple combined grades this year. Please refer to this article that outlines the benefits of a combined grade classroom. https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/cutting-edge-leadershiip-201505why-children-might-benefitcombination-classroom Please know that combined grades are very common in schools and that your child will be well programmed for.
In order to maintain regular contact with you, we require you to keep your contact information up to date through SchoolZone. If you need assistance with accessing SchoolZone, please contact the school office. Thank you, I look forward to working with all of you this year.
If you have any questions, or concerns, do not hesitate to contact me, or your child’s teacher.
Principal, Tipaskan School